Thursday, July 7, 2011

I love trips to Ikea

We still are for the most part furniture-less, however, there are some things we have decided do not need to be "real" furniture from the furniture store, and instead we can do on our own via Ikea. Let it be noted (not doted) that i do LOVE Ikea. I have always enjoyed Ikea, but I enjoy it even more when there are things that I need!! I had in my head that I wanted a corner desk unit for the office upstairs. Easier said, than done, apparently, as I was having a hard time finding a corner desk that didn't have to back up to a wall on both sides that I liked. I decided to "create my own" corner unit, and I must say it has turned out to be a great concept/ idea. The sofa table and desk from the same line which I wanted for my office are the same height, and practically same length, so it made it easy to sort of create my own storage/ corner desk. We bought two sofa tables (one to hold the TV and extra storage for another part of the room) and one to make one of the arms of the corner desk, and put the desk hutch on top of the sofa table. All was glorious and wonderful, until we got to the end of our Ikea adventure, to find out the MAIN INGREDIENT (desk) was "out of stock". We decided since we had it all already loaded and ready to go, that we would go ahead and get the other pieces, and come back for the desk. Apparently i picked out a difficult item as a) it is very popular, or so they tell me, and b) it is made of real wood, which apparently means it takes them longer to build more. I called Ikea the next day to see when they would get more in as they really were not super knowledgeable in the store. The good news is they don't "see" where it says it is discontinued, the bad news is they don't see when it will be coming in stock in Atlanta as far out as their shipment calendar will show them. Online today it said potentially they will have one between the 14th and 18th of July. Wouldn't it be a super sweet surprise from the hubby to come home to an ikea desk in a box?!?!? :)

I love building Ikea furniture, to me it is like a puzzle. It comes with easy instructions, and needs very few tools (so far we only needed a screw driver). So as soon as we got home with the pieces, I immediately started digging into one of the three pieces. Evan on the other hand, is not a huge fan of building such pieces of furniture. Just ask my friend Liz, she knows first hand how much experience he has with such things. When Liz first moved to Tucson many moons ago when we were all in college, Jeff, Evan, and Jon just so happened to be her neighbors. Liz offered Evan beer to come over and help her build a night stand she had bought at target, so since beer was the offer he couldn't resist. Needless to say, she was beyond thrilled when I got to Tucson a few days later and my dad offered to come help with some things at her apartment. One of those things being the night stand that Evan attempted, yet did not accomplish building. Mimi (Liz's grandmother) and Liz got a big kick out of it and still talk about it to this day. Liz vividly remembers Mimi saying after Evan left and gave up on the nightstand : "he is a super sweet Jewish boy, and he will make a great husband to somebody some day, but I hope whoever he marries is handy". She surely was right on it with making a great husband, I am so lucky, and I guess he is lucky I like doing those sort of things!! :)



While I built Ikea furniture, this is what I looked across the room to see.... yes, that is a TV, laptop, and beverage keeping him company...



This is what I started off working with...


Ok, ok, ok, the computer and TV phase only lasted a short time, and before i knew it he was helping me with the big pieces and digging into the building job. Mimi will be so proud when I tell her!! :)

No comments: