Thursday, August 11, 2011

Our first Trip to the Animal Hospital .... at 12am on a Sunday night!

Sunday night after David and Carly left from dinner, we were hanging out downstairs with Bella. Not to share too much information, but all of a sudden I look over and was not sure what she was "playing" with. We didn't hear anything weird and she was right in front of us playing with her toys and laying on the floor last we noticed. Evan told me it looked like throw up. GROSS, I thought on impact, then I thought, OH MY GOSH- MY POOR BABY!!! Evan apparently (I have learned now after having a dog) has a quite sensitive gag reflex. Therefore, the clean up was to me. We thought the best thing was to get her some water and a little more food, since clearly all of her dinner and possibly lunch was now gone. At first I assumed it was a digestion issue, as she often eats super fast although we have a ball to slow her down, and well due to the consistency (sorry, I warned you on the TMI!!!) She then proceeded to throw up again. At this point we are both stressing - after the first time we figured, shes a puppy, we hear these things happen, we will see how she does tonight. I had already decided I probably wouldn't be able to sleep because I would want to stay up and check on her, so Evan called the vet. They have an answering message that says if this is an "emergency" please call a certain animal hospital that is open 24 hours. Evan called, and they said she probably is fine, for us not to feed her anymore, that that makes it worse (great, we already did!) and if she does it again to bring her in. Well don't you know it she did it again ... TWO MORE TIMES. I watched it happen and come upon her 2 times in a row and was totally traumatized. Evan was in the garage taking the trash out while it happened the last two times and i was screaming bloody murder (i am sure it seemed) for him to get the keys and come help me get the dog and lets go! He was startled but agreed we needed to take her in that it was seeming to become more ill and not just a bad digestion. She got sick AGAIN in the car on the way there. I drove, and Evan held her, and thankfully I had thought and convinced him to put a towel on his lap, because well that towel is now trash..... The vet said it could be one of many things going on. bell a has a new "game" of hiding in the bushes, and taking a bite of every different kind of leaf/ plant we have in the yard. We know this is bad for her and try to stop her the best we can, but we really have no full control over what she eats. She also had received increasingly meat food this go round, as we are weaning her off the food the breeder had given her that was basically all fillers. Whatever it was, our poor baby was sick and not feeling well! An hour later, and after midnight, the vet sent us home with our puppy and told us ot restrict her diet. First of all, we were not allowed to let her eat or drink anything for 12 hours since the last episode ..... ummmmm GOOD LUCK getting a starving growing puppy who gets ANGRY when she is hungry to skip breakfast and wait until 1pm to eat!! Secondly, when we CAN let her eat, its only going to be a "little" white rice, made with water and some chicken broth for flavor. The vet mentioned low sodium, so I went to the store the next morning while Evan stayed home with her a little bit so I could get some rice. I don't like rice, so we don't even have any in the house!! I bought ORGANIC chicken broth -- I don't even feed myself or my husband organic, but her I am deciding to feed my PUPPY organic. For the record - organic chicken broth doesn't smell so lovely!!! Good news is, she didn't get sick anymore. Bad news is, a "little" rice when it finally arrived in her bowl 12 hours later. Worst news, I didn't sleep AT ALL. We got home after 1am and I was so worried about her, I couldn't sleep, and kept laying in bed listening for her to whine or cry. SHe on the other hand, slept great. When she was at the vet, they checked her out and all seemed fine and nothing alarming, and injected a "bubble" of basically pedialyte for puppies into the surface below her skin, above her "insides" so she would slowly take it all in. Its basically just a way to make sure she is hydrated. When they were doing it, I could hear her crying from the waiting room .... BREAK THIS POOR MAMA'S HEART, i was in PIECES hearing her cry from the lobby!!! :( Thankfully Bella is all better and back to her normal self, three days later. SHe is now back to puppy food, but they have still suggested we do half rice and half food to ease her back into it.

Here is Bella playing in the bushes ..... perhaps this is where she got into something she shouldn't have that upset her stomach....











It's hard to tell because of the angle, but in this one she is actually deep INTO the bushes, to where we would be literally crawling through bushes to get her out!!






This rice diet isn't so bad mom, it just doesnt fill me up hardly at all!



Just like with the puppy food, Miss Bella doesn't like one grain going to waste....



Our sick baby got a toy the next day, so maybe she is a bit spoiled, but Evan and I went to PetSmart to get her new puppy food for when we started her back on real food, and we couldn't leave without getting our sick sweet girl a new toy.... she LOVED IT!!




Luckily Bella was quickly back to her lovable, playful self....








Today we take her to "camp". We are boarding her at the vet's boarding facility, since she doesn't have all her shots yet. The facility seemed very nice when we went the other day, but i am still having SUCH a hard time leaving her. I have already packed up all her food, and the toys she will take, and we will take the blanket out of the crate as well. I hope my sweet baby has fun, and is excited to see us when we get back from Chicago, because I can already tell you I will be missing her!!! I can only imagine what it will be like some day when I leave my kid for the first time.. OY!!!!

On the bright side, I am quite excited to go to Chicago for my very first time, and visit Nathan, and then Monday night celebrate Dick's big exciting award of Executive of the Year amongst the steel industry. What an exciting and huge honor to receive, he truly deserves it for all his hard work and dedication and for all the hard work he puts into NIM.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: