
Then she realized we were leaving town as all the suitcases came out, and her and Evan had a moping moment....

We have had an AMAZING 5 days in Rome- I so badly don't want to leave, but off to Florence we go!! As I write this we are headed to Florence on the train, and before we make many more memories in Florence, I want to capture for memory all the amazing moments of Rome!!
For starters, we arrived at 8am, after a 9 1/2 hour flight, an ambien that failed to work, and only 40 minutes of sleep- voila! Rome apparently doesn't believe in customs or emigration, so off to get our bags, to the hotel (we were lucky to have a room ready!) and off to Rome to explore. We did a great amount of walking around, followed by our first pizza right outside the Pantheon...


and then first and all time favorite gelato- at Giolitti's!

We then headed back to the hotel to commit the European traveler sin on the first day- a nap! While I napped, Evan showered- I was quickly and startled awake by a phone call from the front desk, and they kept asking if everything was ok, they see the reason emergency- I still have yet to figure out what Evan thought the string attached to a switch in the shower would do, but he pulled it, setting off the emergency call to the lobby! Then to dinner and early-ish bedtime!
The next day, Friday would start with a 7am arrival of the Vatican, for a tour starting an hour before it opens to public- best idea ever! We were 2 of 20 people total including 4 guards in the Sistine Chapel, then continued our guided tour through the Vatican. No, I didn't go wake up the Pope, but we did see which bedroom window was his.



The goddess of fertility... In our tour guide's own words, I'll let you guess how she got her name...

This spinning sculpture in the garden represents life and fate, I found if fascinating..


Those windows top right are the pope's living quarters...




We spent the rest of the day wandering and exploring several parts of the city,mending the night with a fantastic dinner at Antica Pesa! Who knew choosing a wine for dinner could be so difficult?!

Saturday we explored on our own (with Rick Steve's podcast) the Colosseum and Forum- both so incredible to believe I am at the places I learned about in the history books so many times! Saturday it rained off and on, but we ducked under a few rocks ere and there and managed to get away without getting soaked!



Several weddings around the Colosseum on Saturday...

To be continued......
No comments:
Post a Comment